Pages

Friday 8 November 2013

'To Read or Not to Read' by Mekhla Harrison

Is Reading a Good Habit???
 I would wonder if that is a question or is that a given…….for me it sure is a good habit.

I got into the habit of reading at a very young age, I give the credit to my parents who bought us interesting comics and books for our age, and especially to my mother, who read out aloud the short stories to us, form our library of Children’s books

How does one get into the habit of reading a book if one isn’t in the habit already? And also in this day and age of computers, when everything is at hand on a laptop or ones PC then most people do not like to read from a book any more? Well, I say it’s never too late. Although reading needs to be inculcated in us from a very young age but one can start reading and get addicted to books any time. And once you get into this habit you will defiantly start enjoying being on your own.

How does one know what to read? I think it is a personal choice, but to get into the habit of reading, start by reading short stories, articles of your choice in a magazine or news paper. Or better still, read the latest best seller, since it is something that is a hot favorite of your peer group! I personally love to know more about our History and I have a passion for travelling and seeing places, and so my favorite books have been books about biographies, wars and travelogues. When I was a child my favorites were on mysteries and adventure!!  When one is alone it’s the best way to spend ones time…read and get to know more about things.

Mr Pawan , our Librarian,  has been emailing  us articles from the news papers that are relevant for all,  success stories in the corporate, fashion articles  and also articles on issues  like the climate and the weather – recently when the cyclone Phailin hit the eastern coast , a relevant article on how the cyclone is formed , was posted by him to all in the campus!

Although it is wonderful to actually flip over pages and read from a book, but I would recommend all to even read on your computers. It is getting in the habit of reading that is important.
                                                                                                                                                  
Mekhla Harrison

WLCI , Delhi Campus


No comments:

Post a Comment